Kherson is one of the largest sea and river ports in Ukraine. The city is located on the right bank of the Dnieper, 25 kilometers from the confluence of the Dnieper estuary of the Black Sea.
The Kherson seaport, founded in 1778, is located here. At the end of the 19th century, the shipping channel was deepened and the port was opened for large traffic. The river is in interaction with the seaport. It is located on the right bank of the Koshevaya River. This port is the only estuary river port of the Dnieper with year-round navigation.
In the southern part of Kherson, the deep Dnieper formed many lakes. Several tributaries of the Dnieper go around the southern part of the city. Vineyards and orchards grow in the southwest and northeast. The northwestern outskirts are an industrial zone, separated from residential areas by Novonikolaevskoye highway. The automobile bridge, which is part of the Ostrovskoe highway, connects the left and right banks of the Dnieper.